Family farm history
In 1778, Noah Parsons III moved with his family to farm on what is now Easthampton Road in Westhampton, Massachusetts. 225 years later, the Parsons family still owns and farms that same land. Today, the farm is run by brothers Henry III and Edward Parsons. Henry manages the dairy herd while Ed oversees the crops, maple sugaring, and equipment. All of the hay and corn silage fed to the cows is grown on land around the farm. Currently the milking herd consists of roughly 100 registered Holstein (the majority), Brown Swiss, and Jersey cows.
As the farm has passed from generation to generation, it has seen many changes.
A sawmill was built in the 1840's and remained in operation until the early
1970's. Henry and Ed's father and mother, Mahlon II and Bertha, instigated the
switch to registered cattle in the 1950's. With a B.S. in Animal Science
from the University of Massachusetts, Henry began concentrating on genetics for
type and production in the early 1970's. A new freestall barn and milking
parlor were constructed in the early 1980's. Ed and Henry built a
commodities shed in the late 1990's.
Bertha and her four sons: Dale, Henry, Mahlon, and Ed (left to right).